Monday, November 16, 2015

Promises-And all of Them True!

"Go on praying-pray without ceasing."  that's what Elizabeth Prentiss's mother told her. Elizabeth was struggling with her tempor just as her mother used to. When asked how she overcame her anger, she answered...prayer!

Is it just me or has this world gone mad? Seems like everywhere I go people are mad. They're mad because they have to wait in line. They're mad because they are late. They're mad because they hit a pot hole and then thethey're mad because traffic is stopped when D.O.T. is fixing the pot hole. They're mad at the waitress because she hasn't refilled their drink. Meanwhile she is waiting on 20 tables without help. Do you get what I'm saying? People are impatient, impolite, and inconvenienced. 

Think about it...we have reduced ourselves to having to make time to do a random act of kindness. Please don't get me wrong here. A little kindness goes a long way. I believe that. But I remember a time when people waived at everyone driving by. And when everyone smiled at eachother in passing. I smiled at a lady in the grocery store today and she turned and looked behind her as if it shocked her that I was smiling at her. 

Ok I will get off my little soap box now and get back to the book. 

So her mom answered and told her to go on praying.  This brought to mind some wonderful scriptures.

I Thessalonians 5:17 "pray without ceasing." 

I Chronicles 16:11 says to "seek his face continually"

Eph 6:18 "Praying always..."

Luke18:1 "...that men ought alway to pray, and not to faint."

I believe Mama Prentiss knew her Bible don't you? All of these scriptures speak of praying continually.  Or in Mama Prentiss' words... "Go on praying-pray without ceasing!" 

Now Mamas like to teach their children something and I believe this Mama was not only teaching prayer but was teaching the promise of prayer. Remember Elizabeth Prentiss' goal is to not have such a temper. Elizabeth knew that her Mom not only gave her an answer but it was also a solution to her problem. A promise that if you do this, that will be taken care of.  

Let's look at some promises God gives us concerning prayer.  

Luke 11:9 "And I say unto you. Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock and it shall be opened unto you. " 

John 15:7 "If ye abide in me, and my words abide in you, ye shall ask what ye will, and it shall be opened unto you.

James 5:16 "...the effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much."

Those are great promises from our Lord.
And He can't break a promise! 

I will close this post with some words from a favorite song.

Promises

He didn't promise that I would never stumble.
But He did say He'd catch me if I fall. 
He didn't tell me He'd hear complaints I whisper.
But He did say He'd hear me when I call.

Promises Promises
And all of them true. 
He's done exactly what He said He would do.
He didn't tell me my heart would not be broken. 
But He did say He'd mend it again.

He didn't tell me my cross would not be heavy. 
But He did say, that He my load would bear.
He didn't tell me, He'd grant my wants and wishes. 
But He did say, He'd hear my earnest prayer.

No comments:

Post a Comment