Monday, April 11, 2016

Study in Ruth: Day 1

 
The book of Ruth, in the Bible, is an amazing story of redemption! God's sovereign hand can be seen throughout each verse. His promise of love is evident and His gift of salvation is shown in the life of Ruth. Ruth has an awesome story to tell. But hiding in the shadows of these pages is a story of reconciliation. A story of second chances and forgiveness. It's Naomi's story.

Much like Naomi, I was raised to know who God is. I knew John 3:16 and the golden rule. I knew the 10 commandments and the fruit of the spirit. I knew who God was. When I was 12 years old, Christ showed me I was a sinner and that I needed to be redeemed by His Grace through the sacrifice of His son Jesus. Actually at the time, all I knew was that He was perfect and I was not but through Jesus' sacrifice, I could be made whole! Redemption! That was my day of salvation! Just a few short years later, I was everywhere but in God's will. It's funny when I look back on those trying times. I remember little things like being somewhere I shouldn't have been and God sending another believer and we started talking about church and God and left together. Or having friends that used drugs yet I never did nor did I see them using. His hand of protection was on my life even when I didn't realize it. I will tell you more about my story as we go through this book together, but first, let's get into Naomi's story.

Read Ruth 1:1,2

There's so much to talk about in these 2 verses! We are going to take our time!

The scene is set. They lived in the days when the judges ruled. These days were dark for Israel. It was a time when Israel was not ruled by kings but by judges whom God had raised up to rule as leaders, during a challenging time for Israel. Among these were Gideon, Samson, and Deborah. This was a time when everyone did what was right in their own eyes (Judges 17:6, 18:1, 19:1, 21:25)

Sound familiar? Have you ever been there? Where you did whatever you wanted? I sure have and I wish I wouldn't have went through that but then I wouldn't have all this to share with you, would I?
See, God uses those dark times in our lives to grow us and bring us closer to Him!

There are still things that I take upon myself to do. Are there things in your life right now that you're not asking God to direct your steps in?

Take a few minutes and write down some things, big and small, that you are doing what seems right in your own eyes. Begin to pray over these things that God would allow you to see them through His eyes.

Try to read through Ruth Chapter 1 today. Tomorrow we are going to dig a little deeper into verses 1 and 2.

Visit my Facebook page here for encouragement and to connect to others who are longing to see God's hand working in their lives!

No comments:

Post a Comment